Child Custody And Support

We Keep The Best Interest Of Your Child At The Forefront

Custody and visitation are perhaps the most difficult aspects of a divorce and can be especially difficult for the children involved. Your attorney’s legal experience makes all the difference in a custody case. I am committed to helping you achieve an effective resolution. You will need an aggressive advocate to represent you in this matter. The Law Office of Laura L. Davenport has helped clients throughout Louisiana explore their options, including advocating for the rights of fathers.

Understanding The Laws Specific To Our State

While in many cases fathers are typically shouldering a great part of the monetary responsibility after a divorce, it is important to calculate a fair support payment. This typically requires aggressive representation.

When parents, married or unmarried, are unable to agree on custody or visitation, the court may intervene and make a decision based on the child’s best interests. In a custody battle, the focus of the law and the parents should be on what is in the best interests of the children as well as what is fair.

Child support in Louisiana is governed by guidelines that consider the incomes of both parties involved, the child custody arrangement and the number of children. These guidelines are presumptive and are followed closely by the courts. The courts may deviate from the guidelines if the parties agree to a separate arrangement, if the parties have a nontraditional child custody arrangement or if it is in the best interests of the child.

You can also modify your child support and custody arrangements if circumstances change down the road. I am happy to review your circumstances to find out if you may qualify for a modification.

Discuss Your Options Today

As your lawyer, I help you obtain initial child support, modify a temporary or final judgment of child support, implement or terminate an income assignment order, secure health insurance and medical expense payments, enforce child support orders, and obtain remedies for arrearages through contempt proceedings.

Call our office in Lafayette today at (337) 231-1397. You can also fill out this contact form.